A few lessons learned about the Dutch:
1) While they proudly declare that they are “cheap”, they are very generous when it comes to taking care of their friends.
2) Always bring an umbrella, no matter how sunny it appears to be – just trust me on this.
3) Although they do love their coffee, “coffee shops” mean something else here (I just thought they were particularly fond of it and/or maybe constantly tired for some reason).
4) Have a shop cat. Or a pub cat. It just makes your place that much cooler and exponentially increases the odds that I will come into your shop/pub.
5) Though I finally did find some good Dutch cuisine I am prepared to declare that it is not necessarily a gastronomic destination (aside from poffertjes – yum!), I think they are too busy with their coffee, beer and cigarettes to eat much.
6) Genever is good. This I did not expect – post to follow shortly 🙂